viernes, 1 de agosto de 2014

that rarest thing

"I was once obliged to study anatomy, a very dreary business, since there is neither rhyme nor reason for the vast number of things you have to remember; but one remark made by my teacher, when he was helping me in the disection of a thigh, has always remained in my memory.  I was looking in vain for a certain nerve and it needed his greater skill to discover it in a place in which I had not sought it.  I was aggrieved because the text had misled me.  He smiles and said:
"You see, the normal is the rarest thing in the world"
And though he spoke of anatomy he might have spoken with equal truth of man.  The casual observation impressed itself upon me as many a profounder one has not and all the years that have passed since then, with increasing knowledge of human nature which they have brought, have only strengthened my conviction of its truth."

On a chinese screen  - William S. Maugham


No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario

Nota: sólo los miembros de este blog pueden publicar comentarios.